Fines & Fees
FINES & FEES FAQ
How do I pay my Library bills online?
VCPL’s secure PayPal payment gateway can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection by following the steps below.
- Step 1: Log into My Account by entering your library card number and PIN.*If you don’t know or have forgotten your PIN, and you have a valid email address listed in your customer account, you can use the Forgot Your Library PIN? link on the account login page to reset your password. If you don’t have an email account or your password reset fails, please contact the Lending department at 812.232.1114.
- Step 2: If you have items that have been billed and/or a collection agency fee is attached, you will have an Unpaid Fines and Bills link. Click this link to see the list of billed items and fees on your account and the total amount owed.
- Step 3: Once you’ve reviewed the list of billed items and fees, click the Pay Online button.NOTE: If you have questions about the charges on your account please consult a member of the Lending department at 812.232.1114 before you pay. Payments made online cannot be adjusted by the Library after the payment is submitted.
- Step 4: The Payment screen will list all billed items or fees. You can ‘unselect’ any you do not wish to pay at this time. Click Continue.*Although it is possible to make payments for individual items listed without paying for all items listed, it is not possible to pay a partial amount for any one listed item/bill with the online payment option.
- Step 5: Enter your Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card information and click Continue.
- Step 6: Enter your billing and email information and click I Authorize this transaction to submit the payment to your credit card company.
- Step 7: A confirmation will display if the transaction is successful. You can print this screen and if you entered a valid email address in the billing form a receipt will be emailed to you.
- Step 8: Your library account balance will automatically be updated when a successful transaction has been submitted but you may need to refresh your browser in order to have the updated balance display in your My Account during this session.
- Step 9: Logout of My Account.
Does the Library store my credit card information?
Online payment is handled via PayPal’s secure payment gateway and the library does not store or retain your credit card information.
What cards can be used for payment?
Is there a transaction fee?
The Library does not charge a transaction fee.
Can I use a credit/debit card to pay for billed items or fees at the Lending desk instead of online?
Yes, you can process credit/debit cards at the Lending desk.
Can I pay a partial fine?
Will I receive a receipt for online payments?
Who do I call if I have a question about the billed items or fees in My Account?
Call the Library’s Lending department at 812.232.1114.
Service Fees Policy
The Vigo County Public Library provides a wide variety of library services and library materials free of charge for the taxpayers and citizens of Vigo County. A nominal fee for services is charged to customers in order to provide specialized services or materials according to the following service fee schedule. Revenue from service fees become a part of the annual operating revenue budget and are subject to all appropriation requirements. Fees may be assessed for special services not mentioned that require additional costs to the library. Reimbursement for these services will be determined by the Library Director based on the cost to provide the service.
It is important to the Vigo County Public Library to maintain customer relations that reduce barriers and encourage lifelong use of library services. Therefore, in accordance with IC 36–12–3–18, the Library may, under certain circumstances, reduce or waive assessed fees in order to facilitate a customer’s access to services. Library administration is authorized to utilize its discretion in establishing procedures that balance the enforcement of this policy with consideration of circumstances warranting fee reassessment.
Printing and Photocopying
- Printing to standard printers/photocopiers can be performed from any library public access computer via the print management system.
- Mobile printing to standard printers/photocopiers is available via the print management system mobile print service.
- Standard printers/photocopiers are located in the West Branch Library and in the Main Library’s East Wing, West Wing, Lifelong Learning Center, Special Collections, and Youth Services areas.
- Large format color printing for signs, posters, banners, etc. is available at the Main Library in the Haute Create space.
- Microfilm printing is available in the Main Library Special Collections Department.
Obituary/Marriage Records and Research
Services are provided by the Main Library Special Collections Department only.
- The obituary index is available on the VCPL website and provides reference to the published obituary located in the newspaper microfilm collection. On-site self-service access to microfilm records is available at no charge. Off-site requests are also available at no charge.
- The marriage record index is available on the VCPL website with corresponding PDF of digitized marriage record.
Limited research assistance for simple inquiries is provided at no charge. Inquiries are processed in order of receipt. For in-depth or extensive genealogical or historical research the department can provide referrals to paid researchers.
Meeting Rooms and Library Spaces
The following fees will be assessed for use of meeting rooms and library spaces under certain conditions as outlined in the Community Access to Meeting Rooms and Collaborative Spaces policy. Conditions subject to fees include use of room or space outside standard operating hours, lobby rentals, security services, and damage or cleaning fees.
|Service||Limits / Standards||Cost|
|Library Personnel||2 personnel minimum
4 hour each minimum
|$25.00 per hour/per personnel|
|Security Personnel||1 personnel minimum
2 hour each minimum
|Per contracted service|
|Lobby Rental – Standard||4 hour minimum/6 hour maximum||$800.00 first 4 hours
$85 each additional hour
|Lobby Rental – Non-profit||4 hour minimum/6 hour maximum||$500.00 first 4 hours
$75 each additional hour
501(c)3 status required
|Cleaning||Rooms/Spaces left in disarray||$75.00 (-/+ at the discretion of the Executive Director)|
|Damage||Damage to furniture, equipment, facility, or premises||Cost of repair or replacement|
|Set-up / Tear-down||Library furniture/equip||$100.00|
Interlibrary Loan service is provided free of charge to eligible registered borrowers. Charges may apply under certain conditions where additional costs are incurred.
|Photocopies/Printing needed||Copyright regulations||Per Printing and Photocopying fees|
|Lending library charges a fee||Established by lending library||Established by lending library|
|Damaged or long overdue materials||Established by lending library||Established by lending library|
|Unresolved accounts||Established by lending library||$10.00 Collection fee|